The 31st District Digest (May 24 to May 28)

May 29, 2021

The 31st District Digest (May 24 to May 28)

Vax for the Win: California’s New Vaccine Incentive Program (link)

As California quickly approaches its projected reopening day of June 15, Governor Newsom has introduced an incentive program designed to motivate eligible Californians to get their vaccine. Per the Governor’s announcement on Thursday, Californians who are least partially vaccinated are automatically for cash prize drawings happening in June. Additionally, the Governor announced upcoming prizes in the form of prepaid grocery gift cards. For more information about prizes and eligibility, visit

This new incentive program comes as Riverside County crosses an important milestone of administering over 2 million vaccine doses. As a reminder, Riverside County currently offers COVID-19 vaccines to ALL individuals age 12 and up. To receive a vaccine, youth age 12 to 17 years old must register for an appointment at a vaccine clinic that offers the Pfizer vaccine and must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Moderna and J&J vaccines can only be given to individuals age 18 years and older.


In order to stay on the path to recovery, it is critical that we encourage our family members, friends, and neighbors to get vaccinated in order to help protect our community from new COVID-19 variants. This is especially important as we observe this Memorial Day weekend.


To make a COVID-19 vaccine appointment at a county vaccine site, visit the Riverside County COVID-19 Vaccine Page or visit the statewide appointment system at


  • If you are a senior and need assistance to schedule an appointment, please call the Riverside County Office of Aging at 1 (800) 510-2020 or call 2-1-1.
  • If you are a homebound resident seeking a COVID-19 vaccination, Riverside County’s new at-home vaccination partnership with United Lab Services may be able to help. County health officials will provide a list of homebound residents who wish to be vaccinated and have self-identified as homebound on California’s MyTurn COVID-19 Vaccine appointment scheduling system.
    • To be added to the list of homebound individuals seeking to be vaccinated, please call (833) 422-4255 or visit
  • Email your questions about Riverside County vaccinations to
  • For more on California’s Vaccine Plan, click here or call California’s Vaccine Hotline at (833) 422-4255.
  • If you are a veteran and would like to schedule a COVID-19 Vaccine appointment through your local VA office, please click here or call (909) 825-7084 ext. 5085.


REMINDER: CDC Guidelines recommend that your second dose should be from the same manufacturer as the first. For example, if your first dose was a Moderna vaccine, then your second dose should also be a Moderna vaccine.



Golden State Grants and Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Payment Recipients (link)

Recent California legislation authorized a one-time supplemental SSP payment in the amount of $600 to SSI/SSP recipients to provide relief from hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Payments in the amount of $600 will be automatically mailed out based on zip code. Based on the newly released schedule, recipients from the 31st District can expect to receive their payment during the week of June 7th.

  • For general information about these payments, please refer to the SSP Payment FAQs (link). For any additional questions, please call 1 (866) 312-3100.



Friendly Reminders

FREE COVID-19 Testing

COVID-19 vaccinations and regular testing work hand in hand to accelerate our region’s path to recovery. It is important that we maintain our testing schedule to ensure that our public health leaders can accurately assess the spread of the virus throughout our community and track the progress that we have made together.


COVID-19 testing is free at county- and state-run testing sites and available to anyone, regardless of insurance or immigration status, or the onset of symptoms.

  • To make an appointment for COVID-19 testing through Riverside County, visit or call (800) 945-6171.
  • To make an appointment for COVID-19 testing through the state, visit or call (888) 634-1123.


Additionally, Curative has partnered with several local cities to provide no-cost, self-administered, drive-up tests that are open to all, including those who live outside of the city. Test recipients can expect results as early as 24 hours by text message or email.

  • To make an appointment or to find locations for COVID-19 testing through Curative, visit


NOTE: It is important to remember that a negative test result does not absolve us of the need to wear a mask in public and workplace settings, practice safe social distancing, and stay home, especially if we exhibit symptoms similar to COVID-19. Consulting your doctor can help ensure that your symptoms can be managed or if another test may be recommended. If you are uninsured or have Medi-Cal but do not have a primary care doctor, California has launched an advice line that can connect you with a nurse, day or night, to talk about COVID-19 symptoms and can help you connect with local resources in our community. 

  • Call the Medi-Nurse Line at (877) 409-9052 or click here for more information.


United Lift: Riverside County Rental Assistance Partnership Applications are OPEN (link)

United Lift– Riverside County’s partnership with Lift to Rise and Inland SoCal United Way– is now accepting applications for rental assistance. This year, the program will provide one-time rental assistance support to cover up to 12 months of unpaid rent during the period between March 13, 2020, until the time of application, plus an additional three months of future rent.



FEMA: Funeral Expense Assistance (link)

The COVID-19 pandemic has taken so much from our community and brought incredible grief to families across our nation. As families take the time they need to recover from the loss of loved ones, FEMA has established a new resource to help alleviate some of the financial stress and hardship that often comes with loss. FEMA is now accepting applications for its Funeral Expense Assistance Program, offering support for eligible funeral-related expenses incurred after January 20, 2020.

  • To learn more about the FEMA COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program and eligibility, click here.
  • To apply, please call FEMA’s COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Line at (844) 684-6333, TTY: (800) 462-7585


VETERANS: Inland Empire Homeless Veteran Reintegration Program

If you are a veteran experiencing homelessness or at risk of becoming homeless and are seeking employment, the Inland Empire Homeless Veteran Reintegration Program (HVRP) hosted by Goodwill Southern California may be able to help. HVRP offers access to employment opportunities, employment preparation training, education and technical skills classes/certifications, career counseling, and more.

  • For information on eligibility requirements and enrollment, please email or call (909) 659-4849.

RIVERSIDE COUNTY: Countywide Food Access Sites (link)

Riverside County has compiled an extensive list of food resources including food pantry locations as well as senior and school Grab & Go meal sites. To learn what resources are near you, click here.

  • NOTE: Senior Meal Pick up offered by the Moreno Valley Senior Center are available on Wednesdays from 9:30 am to 11 am.



Renter’s Assistance and Housing Programs

 Housing is Key: the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief Program (link)

If you have experienced a financial hardship due to COVID‐19, have past due rent or utilities, and have a household income that is not more than 80% of the area median income, you may be eligible to receive help to pay past due or future rent and utilities from the state of California. Landlords and renters can verify eligibility immediately by visiting, or by calling (833) 430‐2122, and if eligible, apply.



If you or a loved one are experiencing homelessness, Riverside County’s HomeConnect program may be able to help. HomeConnect is a coordinated entry system established by Riverside County’s Continuum of Care that can help connect you to federally-funded, state-funded, and locally-funded homeless services in Riverside County. 


 CITY OF RIVERSIDE: Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) Program (link)

The City of Riverside is offering emergency rental and utilities assistance to eligible city residents who may have accrued rental debt due to COVID-19 related loss of income.

  • For information on eligibility and to find the application, click here or reach out to the Fair Housing Council of Riverside County – (951) 682-6581.
  • COMING SOON: In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the RESTART Repayment program will set up a repayment plan to assist customers that have been unable to pay off their monthly utility bill. To sign up to receive an e-notification when additional details on the RESTART Repayment program becomes available, click here.

CITY OF PERRIS: COVID-19 Rental and Mortgage Assistance Program, Utilities Assistance Program (link)

The City of Perris is offering its residents financial assistance to cover up to 100% of monthly rent or mortgage (up to the maximum of $1,200/month) for 6 consecutive months, as well as utilities assistance to cover up to 100% of monthly electric, water, and gas utility costs (up to the maximum of $300/month) for 6 consecutive months.

  • For more information on the Rental & Mortgage Assistance Program, click here.
  • For more information on the CDBG-CV Utility Assistance Program, click here.
  • To access the online application for both programs, click here.


CITY OF JURUPA VALLEY: Rental, Utility, and Short Term Emergency Assistance (link)

In partnership with Path of Life Ministries, the City of Jurupa Valley is helping to facilitate short-term emergency financial assistance to struggling City residents. Eligible uses include rent and utility payments, vehicle repairs, and employment-related licensing and training fees.


CITY OF MORENO VALLEY: MoVal Rental Rescue Program (link

The City of Moreno Valley has partnered with Inland SoCal United Way to provide emergency rental and financial assistance to keep Moreno Valley residents affected by the COVID-19 pandemic housed. Assistance includes:

  • Homelessness Prevention (HP) – Up to $5,000: Rental Assistance / Rental Arrears for current housing Past Due Utility Payments.
  • Rapid Re-Housing (RR) Up to $5,000: Rental Assistance to move into permanent housing Advanced Payment of Last Month’s Rent Utility Deposits and Payments Moving Costs, Rental Application Fees, and Security Deposits.
  • To apply, click here.


CITY OF RIVERSIDE: Emergency Recovery Assistance Program (ERAP) (link)

Riverside Public Utilities offers a one-time $400 utility bill credit to eligible residential customers who have experienced reduced income due to loss of employment or reduced hours as a result of COVID-19.

  • To apply or learn more, click here.

CITY OF MORENO VALLEY: Extra Time and Discounts for Moreno Valley Utility Customers (link)

Moreno Valley Utility (MVU) now offers discounts for qualifying electricity customers through its COVID-19 Utility Assistance program.

  • Small Businesses on the General Service Rate (20kW or less) that are having trouble paying their bill can set up flexible payment arrangements for up to 24 months.
  • Residents can apply for an extended payment plan with up to 12 months to pay the outstanding balance accrued since March 2020. Income-qualified residents may qualify for the new discount savings program.
  • For more information, click here.

CITY OF CORONA: Emergency Housing Needs Assistance Program (link)

Funds are still available for the City of Corona’s Emergency Housing Needs Assistance Program (EHNAP) that provides rental, mortgage, and utility assistance to eligible Corona renters.

  • To view the program guidelines and application for renters, click here.
  • To view the program guidelines and application for mortgages, click here.
  • For frequently asked questions, click here.



Small Business Resources and Grants

To learn about California’s small business resources, click here.

Shuttered Venue Operators Grant Application (link)

The Shuttered Venue Operators Grant (SVOG) program was established through the Economic Aid to Hard-Hit Small Businesses, Nonprofits and Venues Act and amended by the American Rescue Plan Act to provide over $16 billion in economic relief to target industries. Eligible live venue operators or promoters, theatrical producers, live performing arts organization operators, museum operators, motion picture theatre operators, and talent representatives can submit their applications now.

  • To sign up to be notified when SVOG applications open, click here.
  • For answers to FAQs, click here.

CITY OF JURUPA VALLEY: Local Economic Assistance Program (LEAP) (link)

The City of Jurupa Valley is currently accepting applications for LEAP funding. Eligible small businesses (6 - 50 employees) and micro-enterprises (5 employees or less) can qualify for up to $10,000 and $7,000 grants, respectively.

  • To apply, click here.

CITY OF PERRIS: Small Business Assistance Program (link)

The City of Perris has a local Small Business Assistance Program, offering up to $10,000 loans to qualifying businesses. Loans will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis.

  • To apply or to find more information, click here.

CITY OF NORCO: Small Enterprise Assistance Loan (SEAL) (link)

The City of Norco has created the Small Enterprise Assistance Loan Program, offering low- to no-interest loans of up to $20,000 to eligible Norco businesses and non-profits. Applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.

  • For program guidelines, click here or contact the City of Norco at (951) 270-5644 or
  • For the program application, click here


Have a safe, healthy, and peaceful Memorial Day weekend!
Very Sincerely,

Senator, 31st District