Senator Roth to Chair Oversight Hearing on Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage
Senator Richard D. Roth (D-Riverside) will chair an Oversight Hearing of the Senate Insurance Committee on Wednesday, March 25, 2015, to examine whether uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage meets consumer needs.
Existing California law requires drivers and vehicle owners to have some way to pay for potential damages they may cause while driving an automobile. This requirement is usually satisfied by purchasing insurance with minimum coverage of $15,000 per person for bodily injury or death, up to $30,000 per accident, and $5,000 for property damage.
However, not every driver carries insurance and the bare minimum levels may not provide sufficient compensation for accidents involving a serious injury.
“California’s motorists must be adequately protected in the event of a serious accident to ensure a working economy and protect the quality of life for all Californians,” said Senator Roth. “I am looking forward to conducting this hearing to further examine whether uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage established by law almost three decades ago adequately meets consumer needs today.”
Senator Roth, who is Chair of the Senate Insurance Committee, has introduced Senate Bill 245, which would make technical revisions to clarify existing law related to the uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance coverage. SB 245 is currently pending referral to a policy committee.
This oversight hearing will be available online via live stream at http://senate.ca.gov.
Senate Insurance Committee Oversight Hearing on:
Does Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage Meet Consumer Needs?
- Senator Richard D. Roth, Chair, Senate Insurance Committee
- Deputy Commissioner Joel Laucher, Department of Insurance
- Deputy Commissioner Robert Herrell, Department of Insurance
- Nancy Peverini, Consumer Attorneys of California
- Roger Dreyer, Personal Injury Attorney
- Prof. Robert Peterson, Director, Center for Insurance Law and Regulation, Santa Clara University School of Law
- Dan Wade, Staff Attorney, United Policyholders
- Armand Feliciano, Association of California Insurance Companies
- Michael Gunning, Personal Insurance Federation of California
- John Norwood, Insurance Agents & Brokers of California
- Steve Suchil, American Insurance Association
Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 1:30pm
State Capitol, Room 112
# # #